Michael J. Zak, D.D.S.
Meet Dr. Zak
Dr. Michael Zak joined the Associates for Oral, Maxillofacial, and Implant Surgery in 1992. He completed his oral and maxillofacial surgery specialty training at the Duke University Medical Center in 1991 and his fellowship training in maxillofacial reconstruction at the Henry Ford Hospital in Detroit Michigan. He is a graduate of Saint Viator High School, Illinois Benedictine University and the University of Illinois School of Dentistry.
Dr. Zak is a current and active member of multiple local and state organizations. He is an established lecturer on both the local and national levels and has numerous publications to his credit. He is on staff at St. Alexius Medical Center in Hoffman Estates, and Alexian Brothers Medical Center in Elk Grove Village.
Dr. Zak became board certified by the American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery in 1993 and recertified in 2002. He is a Diplomate of the American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery and a Fellow of the American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons. Dr. Zak is certified in both Basic Life Support and Advanced Cardiac life Support. Dr. Zak is also a fellow in the American Dental Society of Anesthesiology and is a diplomat of the National Dental Board of Anesthesiology.
In addition to his practice responsibilities, Dr. Zak is also involved with aiding the American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery with their educational programs. Dr. Zak authored the section on oral cancer for the Knowledge Update which is used by residents in training to learn different aspects of their specialty. He is also on the Parameters of Care committee which helps develop treatment guidelines for practicing surgeons nationwide. He is also an alternate delegate for the Illinois Society of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons to the American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons.
Dr. Zaks clinical interests include dentoalveolar surgery, including the removal of wisdom teeth, general anesthesia and IV sedation, TMJ surgery, dental implants and associated bone grafting procedures, dental and facial trauma, nerve reconstruction, correction of facial deformities (orthognathic surgery), oral pathology, facial reconstruction.
Dr. Zak has three children.
- Diplomate, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
- Fellow, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons
- American College of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons
- American Academy of Implant Dentistry
- Illinois Society of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons – councilman
- Chicago Society of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons past president
- Illinois Society of Dental Anesthesiology
- American Dental Society of Anesthesiology
- American Dental Association
- Illinois State Dental Society
- Chicago Dental Society
- Chicago Polish Dental Society (Dental Arts Club) past president
- Arcolian Italian Dental Society of Chicago