After Surgical Procedures
Surgery of the mouth is similar to other parts of the body and requires careful attention to post operative instructions.
- DO NOT DISTURB THE WOUND. MAINTAIN FIRM PRESSURE ON THE GAUZE PACK FOR 1 HOUR THEN REMOVE
- SWELLING Use an ice bag 20 minutes ON and 20 minutes OFF for the first 12 hours following surgery to help minimize the amount of swelling.
- PAIN Pain medication should always be taken before the anesthesia wears off. Always eat before taking any pain medication. Take medications only as directed.
- BLEEDING DO NOT RINSE your mouth or brush your teeth the day of surgery. Do not spit or use a straw for the first few days after surgery. A warm salt-water solution should be started the day AFTER surgery for gentle rinsing after all meals. You may also start brushing your teeth the following day. Some bleeding is normal for 24-48 hours after all procedures, however, EXCESSIVE bleeding should be controlled by:
- Placing a sterile gauze, clean white cloth pack or warm moist tea bag over the wound.
- Close firmly for 1 hour.
- Stay off your feet and keep your head elevated.
If bleeding continues please call our office for further instructions.
- DIET Do not east anything hot or spicy on the day of surgery. Eat warm, cool or cold foods. Follow your own inclinations. Drinking plenty of liquids is recommended.
- NO SMOKING.
- KEEP YOUR HEAD ELEVATED When lying down; sleep with 2 pillows under your head at night. Keep physical activity down to a minimum.
- PLEASE CALL OUR OFFICE WITH ANY QUESTIONS … 24 HOURS A DAY, AT Mt. Prospect IL - Associates for Oral, Maxillofacial, and Implant Surgery Phone Number 847-255-7080.